Friday 8 October 2010

Belinda's Baby

Please find below a wonderful account of last night's celebration events from the fabulous Miss Scene from Head First.

See the full article below or here.



Belinda’s baby

Posted in: Latest
8Oct
Here at HeadFirst we’re pretty fond of vintage styling. The current 1950s revival is really helping nurture our Mad Men obsession (I can look like Joan, I can look like Joan…) So, when Belinda Hay – owner of the divine Painted Lady salon – announced she was throwing a high tea, make-up and manicure party for the hair haven’s first birthday, the date was immediately marked in my diary.
With a glass of blush cider in one hand and a scone with jam and clotted cream in the other, I got chatting to Belinda about her baby’s first birthday and the release of her literary debut; Style Me Vintage. “It has been a life-changing experience – I didn’t want to work for someone else for my whole life so it makes me happy I’m doing this,” she said. “The Painted Lady was inspired by different eras and people. My last boss was also a great inspiration for me. I’ve learnt along the way the things you should and shouldn’t do and it has helped me with my own salon.”

Tasty high-tea treats and Belinda Hay

The Painted Lady
The Painted Lady is thriving and the hardback book – a step-by-step guide on how to create the glamorous looks of Marilyn Monroe and Brigitte Bardot – is a triumph.
Located in the East End, the salon is retro with a modern twist. Record players sourced from antique dealers gently play music to clients in for hot pink nails for Saturday night shenanigans. Meanwhile, girls in skinny jeans and brogues are styled like Betty Paige by Belinda’s team of hairdressers.
So what next? Well, she is in the process of dreaming up a second salon. “It wouldn’t be called The Painted Lady,” Belinda said. “It would have its own unique character just like this one does. Around this area people appreciate originality and small businesses.” Style Me Vintage by Belinda Hay (Pavilion, £9.99) is out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment